Irregular Menstrual Bleeding Specialist Questions and Answers
Do you suffer from irregular periods or have problems with your period? Then OB-Gyn & Incontinence Center is your solution! Our doctors can help manage your period and keep it on track and help with all your period needs. For more information call us today or book an appointment online. Our clinic is located at 622 W Duarte Rd. Ste. 305 Arcadia, CA 91007.
Menstrual cycles and bleeding are an unavoidable part of life that is endured by women years on end. While they are far from preferred, it can be unsettling when you notice irregularities with your period. As such, it is important to seek medical care when you notice abnormal occurrences with your menstrual cycle, such as irregular menstrual bleeding, to get to the bottom of the issue and prevent any complications from occurring. At The OB-GYN and Incontinence Center of Women’s Health Excellence, we would be happy to answer any questions you have about irregular menstrual bleeding, such as those below. We can also provide high-quality medical care for irregular menstrual bleeding if you require it.
What causes Irregular Menstrual Bleeding?
Irregular menstrual bleeding, also known as oligomenorrhea, can occur due to several different causes, some of which are normal and not a cause for concern, while others warrant medical evaluation. With that in mind, here are some of the potential causes of irregular menstrual bleeding:
- Birth control medications
- Bleeding disorders
- Cervical or endometrial cancer
- Changes in diet or exercise habits
- Hyperthyroidism, which is an overactive thyroid, or hypothyroidism, which is an underactive thyroid
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Perimenopause, also known as pre-menopause
- Pituitary gland disorders affecting hormonal balances
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Pregnancy or pregnancy complications
- Premature ovarian insufficiency
- Significant weight gain or loss, as well as eating disorders
- Use of certain medications, such as anticoagulants (blood thinners) or steroids
- Uterine fibroids
What are the symptoms of Irregular Menstrual Bleeding?
Irregular menstrual bleeding can mean bleeding when you shouldn’t be or experiencing no blood at all when you would normally be during your menstrual cycle. With that in mind, you may be experiencing irregular menstrual bleeding if you notice any of the following:
- An absence of any menstrual bleeding for 90 days or more, which is a secondary condition known as amenorrhea, unless the individual is breastfeeding, pregnant, or experiencing menopause
- Bleeding in between menstrual cycles, after menopause, or after having sex
- Bleeding or menstrual cycle that lasts longer than a week
- Heavier or lighter than normal menstrual flow
- Menstrual cycles that occur less than 21 days or more than 35 days apart
Are irregular periods normal?
That depends! In the first few years of menstruation, it is normal to have irregular periods. Likewise, there are also times when irregular periods are to be expected, such as during pregnancy or breastfeeding. However, there are also instances where irregular periods could signify a more serious medical issue. So if you are concerned that you are experiencing irregular periods for a worrying reason, do not hesitate to seek medical care when convenient for you.
When should I seek medical care?
If you are looking for specific signs that you should seek medical care for irregular menstrual bleeding, watch for any of the following:
- You have not experienced your period in three months and are not pregnant
- Other symptoms occur, such as abnormal discharge or a fever
- Excessive bleeding requiring more than one pad or tampon every hour or two
- Severe pain during your menstruation cycle
- Sudden irregularity with your periods
If you are looking for a women’s health clinic that provides excellent medical care for irregular menstrual bleeding, we welcome you to contact us at The OB-GYN and Incontinence Center of Women’s Health Excellence in Arcadia, CA! We invite you to call us or book an appointment online. Our clinic is located at 622 W Duarte Rd. Ste. 305 Arcadia, CA 91007. We serve patients from Arcadia CA, West Covina CA, Glendale CA, Whittier CA, Pasadena CA, Alhambra CA, and Baldwin Park CA.