Uterine Fibroids Treatment Specialist in Arcadia, and Glendale CA
Uterine fibroids are noncancerous growths that develop in or on the uterus. These growths are made up of muscle and connective tissues and can vary in size, ranging from small, pea-sized nodules to much larger masses. Dr. Prema Kothandaraman at The OB-Gyn & Incontinence Center offers diagnosis and treatment for uterine fibroids. For more information contact us today or book an appointment online. We have convenient locations to serve you.
Table of Contents:
While uterine fibroids are not generally serious on their own, they can produce painful symptoms and other health complications. As such, seeking medical care for uterine fibroids is always warranted. At The OB-GYN and Incontinence Center for Women’s Health Excellence, our medical doctors and professionals have plenty of skill and expertise in treating uterine fibroids. If you are concerned that you may have uterine fibroids, we have provided some answers to common questions about uterine fibroids below to give you a better idea of what this condition entails.
Uterine fibroids are non-cancerous growths that grow and develop from the muscle and connective tissues in the walls of the uterus, or womb, which is located in the pelvis. As such, they can grow either within the uterus, on the inside of the uterine walls, or the outside of the uterus.
Also referred to as leiomyomas or myomas, uterine fibroids can vary greatly in size, from tiny, virtually invisible seeds at 1 mm to large masses upwards of 8 inches in diameter that can enlarge and distort the shape of the uterus. A person can experience a single uterine fibroid or a cluster of fibroids.
While they often require treatment, the presence of uterine fibroids does not indicate an increased risk that a patient will develop uterine cancer at a later point in their life. In fact, uterine fibroids almost never develop into uterine cancer.
The symptoms of uterine fibroids vary significantly with each patient. In some cases, there are no symptoms present, which is referred to as an asymptomatic uterine fibroid. With that being said, some common symptoms of uterine fibroids are as follows:
• Abdominal distension, which can expand the belly and make one’s abdomen appear pregnant
• Bleeding in between menstrual cycles
• Bloating or a feeling of fullness in your stomach and lower abdomen
• Chronic vaginal discharge
• Excessive amounts of blood or significant pain during your menstrual cycle
• Frequent urge to urinate due to expanding fibroids putting pressure on your bladder
• Inability to urinate or feeling like you cannot empty your bladder completely
• Lower back pain
• Pain during sexual intercourse
Medical doctors and researchers do not fully understand what causes uterine fibroids, but it is generally believed that the following contributes to their development:
• Extracellular matrix (ECM), which is a material in your body that helps cells stick together and is increased in fibroid tissue
• Development of certain growth factors
• Genetic mutations, as some fibroids contain genetic tissue that is different from normal uterine cells
• Hormonal imbalances of progesterone and estrogen
Uterine fibroids typically affect women of reproductive age, and those whose mother or sister have had fibroids are at increased risk of also experiencing uterine fibroids. After one reaches menopause, uterine fibroids usually clear up and cease to be a problem. Uterine fibroids also do not seem to impact fertility. Other uterine fibroid risk factors include:
• Alcohol consumption
• Eating a diet that is high in red meat and low in green vegetables and fruit
• Experiencing menstruation at a younger age than normal
• Vitamin D deficiency
If you are looking for a women’s health clinic in Arcadia, CA, specializing in uterine fibroid treatment, look no further than The OB-GYN and Incontinence Center of Women’s Health Excellence! For an appointment or more information about our services, we welcome you to give us a call us or book an appointment online. We have convenient locations to serve you. We serve patients from Arcadia CA, Glendale CA, Monrovia CA, Pasadena CA, Los Angeles CA, Burbank CA and surrounding areas.